Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Kent Parke Passes Away

 We first met Kent Parke back in the 1990s.  He was over the Indian placement program in the area and we took an Indian placement student, Joanna.  He was full of life and a bit odd.  We met with him a few times.  He lived in Cedar City then.

Years later, he moved into our stake and we became reacquainted.  He and I loved the same kind of exercise- jogging in the pool at Summit.  We were often the first two there in the early morning.  We chatted as we jogged.  I came to appreciate a very fine man with a great zeal for life and an ability to tell stories. 

We attended his funeral and loved learning more about him and the joy he found in life.  I think I've mentioned before that I always learn something at funerals to apply in my own life.  Kent was unafraid of death.  He was on a cruise with his family a month ago.  He didn't know he was sick.  When he got home, he was short of breath and when he went to the doctor, was told he would die soon.  He wasn't afraid.  As his family gathered to say goodbye, he taught them that death was just the next step.  It was part of the plan.  He was looking forward to seeing his dad and his twin brother again.  I love the faith he displayed.

I would say "Rest in peace," but I seriously doubt Kent is doing much resting.  He's just not the type.  So, "Carry on, Kent!  Carry on!"

No comments: