Monday, January 10, 2022

Spoken From the Heart

 

Spoken from the HeartSpoken from the Heart by Laura Bush
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this autobiography of Laura Bush. My politics will be showing here, so turn your head if that offends you. I have felt that her husband was the president for “such a time as this.” He was the president this nation needed in the aftermath of 9-11. He was a man who sought God and who helped the whole nation to do so in our most critical hour. He led us through those dark days.
I loved reading Laura Bush’s life story. It is a fairy tale story- a normal, little girl that became the first lady. There are so many incidents I could tell from her life, I don’t know where to start. But maybe I will just quote from her book, her own synopsis of her time in the White House. She is not one who toots her own horn. In fact, this is the closest she came in the entire book. She just told what she did and her reactions to what happened. But in this paragraph she tells about some of what she accomplished as the first lady of our nation:
“I had worked to support better education and womens’ rights and humans’ rights around the globe, and I had worked to better peoples’ lives here at home. I had reached out to victims of oppression in Burma and to tattooed American teens struggling to break free from the cycle of gang violence. I had sat on mud floors in African health clinics and inside Badouin-style tents for breast cancer survivors. I had visited seventy-five countries, including five trips across Africa and three to Afghanistan. I had been to many of the countries hardest hit by AIDS and malaria. I had held the hands of the dying and looked into the eyes of children who had been orphaned in the most hideous ways, as well as children who were raising other children younger than themselves.”
She doesn’t mention here her great support of hurricane Katrina survivors and her dedication to repair their schools and rebuild and restock their libraries.
She did it all with quiet class and sophistication and respect. In her book, she shows nothing but love and support for her husband and his belief system. I have long been an admirer of Laura Bush (and her great hair! I used to tell my hairdresser to make me look like Laura Bush. She never did.) I am even more so now. In this book, she truly speaks from her heart. I am very glad I read it. I was appalled how the press and media turned on this fine president and wife at the end of their term and since. I have literally prayed that history will be kind to them and remember them for who and what they were: people dedicated to our country and its people and humanitarians to the world. I appreciate their service.


View all my reviews

No comments: