Monday, February 14, 2022

The House of the Seven Gables

 

The House of the Seven GablesThe House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have a very old- ancient really- copy of this book. It came from my husband’s family and from their local library. How they obtained it, I don’t know. If only it could talk! I’m guessing my mother-in-law picked it up at a library book sale. The old library card is still in it. The dates of check outs on that card are between 1939-1941. I love that little book, but had never actually read it. I decided it was time to read this old classic.
It started slow and I wasn’t sure I was going to make my way through it. It took a very long time to set up the setting, characters, and relationships. But at about 2/3 of the way through, the story picked up, and it was a really good, inventive story to the dramatic conclusion. I see why it is a classic. I know I’m supposed to give classics 5 stars, but I can’t. I just didn’t enjoy it that much. I’m going with 3 stars, and honestly, I feel like that is generous.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Shonna said...

I love that you're truly honest.