Wednesday, May 25, 2011

On My Way

I'm on my way in the morning to Ohio to help out at the Camerons. Shonna has been put on bedrest because she's showing signs of delivering way too early again. She is 32 weeks, and so far, holding! I will be spending the month of June in Ohio with the Camerons and possibly welcoming their new baby girl while I'm there. I'm excited to meet her . . . but not too soon.
I came in to download the pictures we've taken in the last couple of weeks. They tell some of the story of what we've been up to and the whirlwind we've been in (Whewee!!)
My Keynote group did our concert in the tabernacle on May 18th. Before that date, we had many performances in rest homes/assisted living/ retirement centers. We had many sweet experiences in those. I love being part of this group and sharing music with those in their sunset years. It is a real privilege and blessing in my life. Keynotes Concert:
I don't have a picture, but we had stake conference on May 14/15th. Ken did a great job on the talk I heard in the general session, and I'm sure did so on the one in the priesthood session, too. I was very proud of him. It was a great conference. I sang in the stake choir.
It's been a beautiful, cool rainy spring here. Ken took this picture of a rainbow the other evening:
Last weekend, our neice, Allie got married in the St. George temple. It was so fun to get together with family and share the weekend with them. Allie and her husband, Chase. Allie had her own style: Then on Monday afternoon, I had my vocal recital for my voice students. They all did great. I was very proud of all of them . . . and of me, for learning all of their accompaniments! Each student sang one folk or art song and one song from musical theater. Plus we had a duet and an extra number. It was a great night. One student (not pictured) didn't dare perform at the recital,but listened out in the hall, and then performed after for her family and a small group. I was so proud of her for conquering her almost overwhelming fear. She was floating high when she left. Aren't they cute?? And now, I'm off. I was just thinking about the difficulty Shonna had with her last little one- born ten weeks early. It was a time of tremendous sacrifice, keeping little Caleb going, giving him his nourishment and meeting his needs. In fact, when I went to help her then, I realized the tremendous sacrifice she was making. Caleb didn't have the strength to nurse, so Shonna would have to wake herself with an alarm every two/three hours round the clock to pump, then put the milk in a bottle and feed it to Caleb, change him, get him to sleep, clean everything up (everything had to be carefully cleaned/sterilized), eat a little something herself, fall into bed, only to be awakened by her alarm in a very few minutes to do it all again. . . round the clock. Of course, Blake did a lot of the feeding/changing/sterilizing, too, when he could, while keeping up on his school work. It was constant labor. While I was there, I would feed Caleb so Shonna could get more rest. I put the bottle lid on my bible, and it left a ring of milk on the cover. I just can't bear to wash it off. Every time I get out my bible, it makes tears spring to my eyes, thinking of the sacrifice mothers make for their little ones. That little ring represents mother love to me. I watch all my girls sacrificing everything to be mothers, everything. And they do so gladly and with joy. I know I must have done it years ago, too, but it's so fulfilling to watch my precious daughters and their husbands as parents. It is the plan of happiness. I'm reminded of the line from Praise to the Man :" sacrifice brings forth the blessing of heaven. " I know that is true. I've watched it happen, and now I get to go and watch it some more. I am truly blessed. This blog may be neglected for a month or so, but I'll try to keep you updated on baby news. Please throw up a prayer when you think about us!

9 comments:

Ming said...

We will send many prayers your way. Shonna is amazing and so are you! Motherhood is the most beautiful sacrifice there is.

Shonna said...

What a sweet post. You're still sacrificing for us by coming to help for a month. Thank you and can't wait to see you!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

You have been busy!!! I love what you wrote about motherhood it was beautiful!

Joan Morris said...

Good luck with Shonna. Keep us posted.

Pal & Hatty said...

You will all definitely be in our prayers! You are a wonderful mom to come to the rescue! Your sweet words about motherhood and watching our daughters as mothers brought tears to my eyes! I have the same tender feelings about my daughters and daughter-in law as they fulfill their roles as mothers. I also thought of our dear mother and remembered that I didn't fully appreciate all she had done until I became a mother. Now that I am a grandmother I am having new feelings of appreciation for her as a grandma. Life's lessons continue to be learned and re-learned for me.

Sarah said...

Good luck out there! I hope things go well and that little girl waits it out.

sara cardon said...

Will definitely keep Shonna and her baby in our prayers!! She's almost past the danger zone at 32 weeks-- so anything's up from there! Your girls have had an amazing example of motherhood in their life to follow!

buddy said...

Love, good thoughts and lots and lots of prayers go out to all of your family. We are thinking of you. John and Cindy

Crystal said...

That was a beautiful post! I hope everything goes smoothly for Shonna, she sounds like a strong wife & mother. Especially with you and ken as her parents and examples. Good luck, can't wait to see pictures of your beautiful new granddaughter.