Thursday, May 5, 2011

"Mom Moment" in Hawaii

We just returned from Hawaii. We had a marvelous trip (post soon to come.) But with Mother's Day this week, I just have to share a sweet "Mom Moment" I had while there. One afternoon, I was shopping in a little gift shop and found "Wicked Wahini" perfume. My mom LOVED Wicked Wahini perfume. She always bought a bottle when she went to the islands and wore it frequently. They had a sample bottle, so I sprayed some on my wrist and breathed in my mother. Just then, the Hawaiian background music playing in the store switched to the song, "Lovely Hula Hands." My mother could do the hula beautifully. She had learned when they lived in Hawaii before I was born. Her teacher was some famous choreographer, but I don't remember her name. Anyway, Mom loved Hawaii and Hawaiian things and doing the hula. She was so graceful. When I was growing up, my mom taught us hula lessons, and then she would take us to perform for luaus all over the valley. Loris Stewart and his little combo would play, we would dance "Hukilau" and "Little Brown Gal" and, I think it was called "Hawaiian Warrior Song" and mom would always do a solo of "Lovely Hula Hands." She was always the star of the show.
So, there in that little shop, I closed my eyes and pictured her swaying hips, her beautiful smile, and her graceful "fingertips that say Aloha!" I smelled her smell and remembered her grace and whispered, "Happy Mother's Day, Mom!" It was a sweet "Mom Moment" in Hawaii.

5 comments:

Joan Morris said...

I love it! Thanks for the tears :)
Our Mom did LOVE Hawaii, so how fun for you to remember her while there! Thanks so much for the memories.

Ming said...

Oh Kay, you've done it again. Why do your posts always make me cry! I have such fond memories of my mom passing those same hula dances onto me. This is a beautiful post. I love you Grandma.

Shonna said...

What a sweet post! I love Grandma! I also learned "Little Brown Gal" from either her or you, or maybe you both taught me together. It was a while ago. I'm so glad you got to have a little piece of her in Hawaii.

buddy said...

Wow.
Cindy

Michelle said...

I'm crying now, Mom! Thanks to you and Grandma for passing that love of dance down to me!