Monday, May 9, 2011

Hawaii: Maui

The last half of the week was spent on Maui with 1/2 of the partners. We had a fun group. On Thursday all eight couples took a ferry over to Lanaii. There was a beautiful beach- perfect for snorkeling and swimming. We had such a fun time.
The partners ready to snorkel:
We had a sweet miracle happen here. At the end of the afternoon, Ken and I got in the surf to just play and have fun. We noticed the waves were getting bigger and the ocean getting rougher, so we decided it was time to get out. On the way out, a huge wave hit us, knocking me down. I held onto my glasses, but I was down. Just then an even huger wave hit, tumbling me and stripping me of my glasses with sunglasses attached. Ken helped me out of the ocean, and went back to look for my glasses, but to no avail. He then came in and got his snorkel, said a prayer, and headed out to look for them. I honestly thought it was hopeless. But within minutes, he came out, holding up my glasses! They were under about six feet, starting to get buried by sand, but he saw them and dove for them. The sunglasses were still attached, too!
Bye, Lanaii!
(Ken took this picture, and I think it's one of the prettiest we got on the whole trip.)
The gorgeous sunset behind our hotel.
We loved the shaved ice.
On Friday, Ken and Dean golfed and Marsha and I rode along. It was a beautiful course!
Dinner that evening at Cheeseburgers in Paradise.
On Saturday, Ken rented a bike and rode clear up the coast. I swam in the hotel pool and read by the pool. In the afternoon, we drove up to Pai'a and did some shopping. The prices up there were much better than down in Lahaina. We had a fun afternoon. A lady working in one of the shops had rescued a little bird. Ken told her how to care for it. She was so appreciative she gave us a free Hawaiian Christmas ornament.
After shopping, we met several of the partners for dinner. The sunset that night:
Sunday:
We love to attend church in Hawaii. It is always a sweet experience. All of the partners attended Sacrament meeting, then they all left for home or other islands. We opted to stay on Maui for a couple more days. We had a wonderful leisurely Sabbath day. After church, we had lunch, talked with all three daughters, studied, and took a nap. This is Ken on our lanai working on his stake conference talk for next week:
In our "backyard":
That evening we barbecued and watched the beautiful sunset.
Have you tried barbecued pineapple? It is so yummy. Marinate it in some sugar or honey and then barbecue the spears.
Just chillin, watching the sunset:
This was a "where were you when this happened?" moment. We were out barbecuing when a lady announced the news that Osama bin Ladin was dead. We went in and watched the story unfold on the news:
Click "Older Posts" to see the last day of our Hawaii trip.

2 comments:

Ming said...

It was so fun reading through your Hawaii posts. We are headed to Maui in 3 weeks and these pics got me seriously excited!! It looks like you had such a wonderful time!

Kristen Mackrory said...

I love all your pics...especially the sunset one behind your resort!