Friday, May 6, 2011

La's Orchestra Saves the World

La's Orchestra Saves the WorldLa's Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall Smith
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

It's no secret that I love Mma Ramotswe and the Detective Agency Series. So, I was excited to read this non-series book by the same author, Alexander McCall Smith, set in WW2 England. I wanted to love it. I loved it's theme: music saves the world. But it just wasn't as well written as his other books. It starts well, giving details of La's life and troubles, as well as other characters, but then the plot gets thready, covering many years in just a few chapters. The reader views the story through the eyes of La, the main character. But I didn't like her much. And though it's theme was that music and normalcy during wartime is what saves the world (great theme!), I just didn't see that developed well in the book. It's a clean, easy read, and certainly not objectional, but I just didn't enjoy it much. Maybe my expectations were too high.

View all my reviews

No comments: