Sunday, May 22, 2011

Dream Turned Nightmare

"I have a dream . . " Or HAD a dream. Here is my dream:For years, I've seen couples shopping together at the grocery store and I have a twinge of jealousy. "That would be SO wonderful," I think, "to go grocery shopping with my husband." Look how happy and romantic: My reality: This just does NOT happen. Now, don't get me wrong. Ken will go to the grocery store FOR me and get what we need, but to go together to him is a waste of valuable time. If we do go together, it's like a military training drill: Efficiency, efficiency, efficiency. He divides up the list and it becomes a race, "I'll go get the bananas and apples, you get the cereal and bread and we'll meet back at the eggs and milk." or whatever. We never stroll down the aisles, looking lovingly into each other's eyes like in these pictures.
So, the other night, we needed to stop at the store for a few things on our way home from somewhere else. As soon as we got out of the car, "What's my assignment?" he asks, ready to divide and conquer. Filled with visions of a romantic shopping trip, I replied, "Your assignment is to stay right by my side." "Really?" "Yes, really." "Okay." So he did. RIGHT by my side. If I turned to look at something, he circled around to be RIGHT by my side. After several aisles, he said, "Is it okay if I say, 'Woof! Woof! occasionally? I feel like a puppy dog." It was about then I lost it. "Go get some Cool Whip or something!" I said in exasperation. It wasn't until we were back out in the car that I confessed my lifelong dream, and how we had failed miserably. "I guess this dream turned into a nightmare," he said. I think my dreaming days are over and I'm headed to the grocery store alone from now on. Sigh.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it - great story Aunt Kay - Noel probably has the same dream - but I take Uncle Ken's perspective often - so sorry to be perpetuating the nightmare!

Joan Morris said...

That sounds like Ken Hinton, probably Tom as well, but I don't know if I've ever had that dream. I guess I'm not much of a romantic.

Michelle said...

You've got me laughing out loud. Brian and I have a standing date every Friday night at Target. It's okay to be jealous.

buddy said...

O.K. This blog has brought several thoughts to my mind on shopping....with John. One of our consistent trips together is the Nampa Costco. John likes it better if I go with him, although he frequently does go alone. I love wandering in costco, I love getting distracted in the insignificant merchandise...I love floating off and meeting up sometime later. John finds himself saying several times during the shopping adventure...."stick with me."or "let's stay together.". I sigh and pull myself back to a more focused shopping experience. So, during our shopping trips, there are sighs, long looks and a side by side
experience.....but maybe still not the romantic one of your (or my) dreams, yet. My suggestion is to share your
romantic shopping head movie with Ken at a home evening and then let him try again...I'm sure he will catch the vision and become the shopping partner of your dreams!:-)

Shonna said...

LOL! Divide and conquer is exactly what we do.

Carina said...

Maybe you should go to the grocery store for your date night! Now that Ken knows your dream, you could plan your dinner together, go to the store together, and cook the dinner together.

Jessica said...

LOL! I guess I'm like aunt Joan and not much of a romantic. I think of going to the grocery store as such a chore and nothing else.

Pam said...

Great dream, Kay. I understand that type of romantic fantasy. cute post!

Pal & Hatty said...

What a cute post! Hal and I had many, many grocery shopping experiences on our missions to Russia. It took both of us and a little pull cart to haul all our food home on our first mission when we were on foot. Then, the second mission we had a van, but we were feeding such large groups of missionaries that we would often fill 2 grocery carts and it was a 3 -4 hour project by the time we traveled to the store, selected, purchased, traveled home and moved all the food up to the 5th floor of the mission home. I can't say it was very romantic, but we truly worked together as a team to get the job done and I have happy memories of those times. Now I am pretty much back on my own with the shopping and I do miss the teamwork and sense of purpose that we shared.

Sarah said...

This is a hilarious romantic fantasy. I have to admit, it as never topped my list- not that my list is a big one or anything. But I do have a solution. I will send Eva and Sophie over for you to borrow for your next shopping trip. Then the next time you go shopping alone, you will think you've died and gone to Heaven.

Ada said...

We loved your post! Read it to Don and then to the visiting family. Seemed to be a universal dilemma for our family:)