Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hawaii- Oahu

The partners in Ken's firm take their wives on a working retreat every three years, usually right after tax season ends. This year, we went to Hawaii. There are 14 partners now. Because of scheduling conflicts, we did the trip in two shifts. Six of the couples went to Maui first, then we all met in Oahu, then the first group went home while we went to Maui. We had a great time.
We arrived early Monday morning. Everyone did their own thing that day. Ken and I went to explore the west side of Oahu, since we'd never seen that side.
We then went to the Dole Pineapple Plantation.
The fish pond there:
We rode the pineapple express train.
And saw pineapple growing.
We, of course, had the Dole Whip
And fresh pineapple there.
We then went to Waimea Falls where we met up with some of the other couples.
Waimea Falls
Hanging out with Tichenors and Cowdin's at Waimea Falls.
Is that a peacock on top of that car?
Why yes, it is.
We walked around this beautiful resort.
And did one of those hold your arm out far and shoot kind of pictures by the ocean.
When I was taking this picture, a lady walked by and said, "Are you going to put it on facebook?" Will my blog do?
That night we dined at a Beni Hana type Japanese restaurant. It was fun and delicious.
After partner meetings on Tuesday, we headed North to Laie to attend the temple and then the Polynesian Cultural Center. On the way, we got off the freeway to get a picture of Tripler Army Hospital where my Dad was stationed in the '50's. I took pictures on the way up from the road. When we got to the check-in station, Ken told the officer we hoped to get a picture of the hospital "because my wife's Dad was stationed here." He told us that unless we have official business we couldn't take pictures. While Ken asked directions back to the freeway, I snapped a picture of the sign. That's as close as we got. But really the pictures are better from far away anyway.
These next two are pictures my dad took of Tripler years ago. Still there; still pink.
The illegal picture of the sign.
We were so excited to attend a session in the newly renovated Oahu Temple. It was so beautiful.
Here's a picture of my mom in front of the temple when they went back for their 25th anniversary.
View of the ocean from the temple front.
Actually, six of the fourteen couples attended the temple that morning. Here's us with two of Ken's partners.
Visitor's Center
A ceremony at the PCC. Two of Ken's partners participated.
We ran into Ken's brother Rick's mission companion from years ago in Japan. He was there with his family. He lives in Hawaii. His name is Russell Watanabe.
We attended the luau and show at the PCC, but they don't let you take pictures at the show. It was really well done, and we had front row seats.

6 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

What an awesome trip! I love all of your beautiful photographs! I'm glad that you were able to see Tripler Hospital!

triciathomas said...

Amazing trip!! I am glad you got to spend sometime together after the crazy tax season is over!

Carina said...

What an awesome trip! The pictures are amazing, I can't wait to go to Hawaii someday.

Strider & Jana said...

Aunt Kay I loved looking at the pictures from your trip! Fun that you and Uncle Ken could get away for a nice vacation. My parents had told me you ran into his mission companion. so crazy! We met up with them when my parents took me to Hawaii before I got married. As a side note- I went swimming last night and thought of you.

Kristen Mackrory said...

Oh, I loved seeing all those pictures. I love your shirt that first day. All of those pictures look so nice. I love the "hold your arm out and shoot" picture in front f the ocean. The temple pics are gorgeous too!! How did you know that it was Rick's mission companion? HOw cool is that?!?

Michelle said...

Now you've got me craving pineapple dole whip, whatever it is. Oh man, it looks good. How awesome to see the picture of where Grandpa was stationed right next to Grandpa's pic from a long time ago!