Saturday, November 25, 2023

Convenience Store Woman

 

Convenience Store WomanConvenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book, mostly because it re- immersed me into Japanese culture. We lived in Japan for 1 ½ years and frequented convenience stores there- mostly to use the facilities, which were always spotlessly clean. The workers were friendly and cheerful- just as this woman described they were taught to be.
The story is not action-packed. It is a thought-provoking social/ psychology study. Do we push people into conforming into what we think will make them happy and successful? Do we impose our social norms on all? I really loved Keiko. She really wanted to fit in, but in her heart knew she was happy just the way she was- in her simple life as a convenience store worker. The book is short. It is quirky. It is kind of sad. But mostly it makes you think. I think most would enjoy it. 4+ stars from me.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Shonna said...

I just got this one on audio.