Tuesday, August 22, 2023

We Gather in Copenhagen

 

Four couples in front of the church where Thorvalson's Christus and apostle statues are displayed.  John and Cindy came to Copenhagen later that day.

We arrived in Copenhagen, Denmark on Monday afternoon to begin our adventure.  Everyone flew in at different times.  We checked into our hotel- the Scandic Copenhagen.  

The room was very small, but we made it work.

It was a long flight with a horrible stop in Amsterdam.  We were exhausted.  I had developed a blister in a very long walk in the Amsterdam airport when they changed our flight to a very far away gate.  That blister was to prove to be a big problem on this trip.  After resting, Ken went out to find the Church of Our Lady where the Thorvalson statues are displayed and to see if we could find the bakery we had found when we were there a year ago.  He found both.


The others were staying at a different hotel.  We made arrangements to meet Tom and Joan at the church at 10 the next morning.  They rented e-bikes to get there.  I put a blister pad on my foot and we walked.






There was to be funeral there at 11 so they brought in the coffin.







Soon, Patty and Hal and Pam and Roger came.  John and Cindy weren't going to arrive until later in the day.  The brother-in laws enjoyed visiting together.

A guide let us go upstairs.  I had to take a picture of my friends, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary.  Remember I met her last year?  Evidently they were married in this church.




A view from the balcony


Then we went outside and I asked a man who was sitting on a nearby bench to take our picture.





There was going to be a funeral in the church at 11.






We then went over to LaGlace to get pastries.  You had to take a number and it was quite a wait to get inside.  We all got our treats to go and then looked for a place to eat lunch.



After a long walk, we finally found a place to eat.  It was actually the Tivoli park food court that Ken and I had eaten in back in 2019 when we stayed five days in Copenhagen.  We all ordered Norwegian open-faced sandwiches.  
That long walk proved very problematic for my blister.  We parted after lunch and Ken and I walked back to our hotel.  My foot was really hurting.  When I took off my shoe it looked terrible.


That evening, Ken went out to find us some dinner and to the drug store to buy everything he could to help with my blister.  He brought back gauze, vaseline, epsom salts, and aloe vera.  Because I am prone to foot blisters, I brought lots of blister pads and Neosporin.  We were prepared!  
He brought back these delicious Turkish wraps.  They were SO good!



We had a fun picnic in the tiny room.

No comments: