Friday, February 23, 2024

All the Beauty in the World: The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Me

 

All the Beauty in the World: The Metropolitan Museum of Art and MeAll the Beauty in the World: The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Me by Patrick Bringley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mr. Bringley experienced deep loss and grief in his loss as his brother died of cancer. He gave up his more lucrative desk job and hired on as a guard in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where he would be surrounded by beauty and art and peace. As he described the paintings and other works of art, I googled them and studied them as he beautifully described what he saw and felt. When I finished the book, I felt that I had completed a Humanities 101 course. This man has incredible talent as a writer. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Now if you will excuse me, I need to go book my tickets to New York where I can visit this fabulous art museum.

View all my reviews!

Following are two of Mr. Bringley's favorite paintings from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The Harvesters by  Pieter Bruegel, painted in the 1500's.  Mr. Bringley mentions this painting at least three times in his book.  I have loved studying the details in it.

At the end of the book, he declares this painting, The Crucifixtion by Fra Angelico to be his very favorite.  He says it makes him feel what he felt when his brother died.  This painting also was painted in the 1500s.


No comments: