Thursday, February 29, 2024

The Only Time My Dad Spanked Me

  I am writing a book of stories from my life.  It is called "Grandma's Stories."  Following is one of the stories from that book.

The Only Time My Dad Spanked Me

In essence, that title is the story.  I grew up in a world where kids got spanked.  My mom spanked me frequently.  But my dad only spanked me once in my life.  That is the main point of the story.  And, well, I deserved it.  Here it is:

My parents had friends over in the living room one evening.  I think it was their supper club.  A Supper Club is where there are certain couples in the club.  They take turns hosting the other couples in their home for dinner. They meet once a month. The group had finished dinner and were in the living room in the front of the house, visiting.  Joan, John, and I were in the family room which was located in the back of the house.  As often was the case, John and Joan started teasing me.  I don’t remember what they were doing or saying, but they were teasing me.  I remember I was sitting in my dad’s recliner chair. I screamed.  They did it again.  I screamed.  My dad came in and told me not to scream again.  He looked mad.  He went back to the living room. They did it again.  I screamed.  My dad came back.  He was so mad.  He grabbed me by the arm and marched me to the top of the stairs.  He spanked me once as he sent me down the stairs, telling me not to come back up.  I was devastated.  Not so much from pain, but that my dad had spanked me.  It had never happened before.  I cried and cried.  There you have it: the story of the only time my dad spanked me.

No comments: