Sunday, February 10, 2019

83 More Cancer Free Genes!

After receiving the results of the genetic testing I had for breast and ovarian cancer (yea- I don't have the cancer gene!), I was offered the opportunity for them to test 83 more genes that they know are linked to cancer.  The tests were not covered by insurance, but were offered for free.  On all 83, they know they are linked to cancer, but don't have definitive data on what do to with that information.  I think they are just trying to establish a data base of people with the cancer genes, so that when research is more advanced, they can offer help to those who do have the gene or genes for cancer.  When the genetic counselor called, she offered me this free testing.  I had to think it over for a day. Did I want to know if I had a defective gene/ genes, but they didn't know what to do about it?  Would the waiting for the results be hard?  I had just had excellent news that I didn't have the ovarian/ breast cancer gene.  Did I want to spoil that euphoria and put myself back into the waiting game?  I told Jessica I would call her back.  Ken's reaction was that I should absolutely have the free tests.  Why not?  Well, I just explained why not.  Ken's approach to life is always much more logical and less emotional than mine.
But I called Jessica the next day and told her to go ahead.  She called today (February 6th) and told me that all 83 genes came back clean.  Yea!  Now that it's over, I'm grateful I had it done and, of course, that the results were good.

2 comments:

Shonna said...

I'm so glad they all came back clean! Yay!

Kristen Mackrory said...

Your courage paid off!! What good news