Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Rocks!

This is just some of the girls who were there.
I was in charge of the all-girl activity for mutual in January.  Last summer, while visiting Kristen's family in Wisconsin, we went to a bakery.  There, in front of the building, Audrey found a painted rock with a website address written on the back.  She was thrilled.  This was the first time I had heard of a popular craze:  rock painting and hiding.  There are groups in many cities and communities all over the nation that paint rocks.  Then they hide them for others to find.  The finder posts a picture on the website written on the rock, then the finder can keep the rock or re-hide it for someone else to find.  I thought that would make a great activity for the young women.
It was quite a lot of work to get ready for and execute, but it was fun.  I gathered and purchased all the supplies.  The girls had fun visiting while they painted.  I think they turned out really cute:
Then I took the rocks home and first mod podged them, gluing on a label with instructions with what to do if you found the rock:  Congratulations!  You have just found a rock painted by a young woman from Bloomington Hills 4th ward.  Please take a picture and post it on the ward's facebook page.  Then you can either keep it or re-hide for someone else to find.

After the mod podge dried, I sprayed them with a sealer.  There were too many steps with drying in between to finish them all in one night, but I was happy to finish them up.  So then, as part of the next week's activity we hid them in the playground park that is within our ward boundaries.


So far, we have had five people post on the facebook page that they found rocks.  I'm sure there will be more.  It was fun craft/service activity. It rocked!

1 comment: