Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Christmas, 2017

We had a quiet and very nice Christmas.  Before Christmas, Michelle texted me this picture of Gabbi after receiving a special package from Shin Shimai in Tsuruoka.  They are pen pals.
On Saturday before Christmas, Michelle and Brian stopped by on their way to SLC for Christmas.

William was anxious to perform his new trick for us- rolling over!
They left to go to SLC to spend Christmas with Brian's family.  So Ken and I enjoyed a quiet Christmas together.
Christmas eve, we had our traditional Chicken ala King (Chicken for a King) over toast "crowns"

And yule log chocolate cake(birthday cake for Jesus.)

And apple pie.  About the only thing Ken would tell me he wanted for Christmas was an apple pie that he could eat all by himself.  So that's what he got.  It took him most of a week, but he ate it all!
In the afternoon, we went out to a rest home to visit a friend.  We enjoyed reading the Christmas story from the book of Luke with him.
We skyped with Camerons and opened their gifts on Christmas eve.  Shonna made me this apron with handprints of their four children.  I made a similar apron for my mom when I and my siblings all had small children:

I made this for my mom the Christmas of 1980 (since I didn't have anything else to do.  I had Shonna on December 1st of that year!)  I had all of my siblings send me a pattern of each of their childrens' hand.


Joan's Devin was 5 months,  Our Kristen was 2 and Shonna was 2 weeks.

John and Cindy's Alexis was 6, Amanda-3 and Adam -2.

Patty's Evan was 9, Allison-7, Preston- 5, Tricia-3, and Jessica-1 1/2
Pam's Rick was 11, Ryan-9, Stacey-7, and Missy- 4.

We each had one more child after this except Joan who had three more.  Now most of them are married with many children of their own.  This apron captures a moment in history.


This large bag came from Pam and Roger and had all sorts of wonderful gifts inside.

With only us to be here for Christmas, we decided to keep the decorating simple.  We just put up this small tree, several nativity sets, and a few other favorite decorations- including that beautiful quilt that Kristen made us several years ago.


I had received a sample of this perfume and loved it, so Ken got it for me, along with creams, and . . . (stay tuned)

Ken's shirt from Pam and Roger
Gifts from Pam and Roger

I love, love, love my Vera Bradley cuddle blanket from Pam and Roger.

AND my Roomba from Ken.

And my acrylic cups with straws.

Though I only remembered to take pictures when we skyped with Kristen's family, we enjoyed skyping with Shonna's family, and later on Christmas evening,  with all of our kids and their spouses. That was so fun.  They all really like each other!


We love you Samuel.  This kid loves to skype and just chatters and chatters.

My new earrings from Kristen and Jared



We had one of our favorites for dinner: pork with almond, butter, apple sauce, green beans and rice.

And later, watched this classic.
It was a beautiful Christmas!

2 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Sounds very peaceful! What fun gifts. I wanted a Roomba this year too but forget to tell anyone;)

Pam said...

I love love love that apron story and seeing the one you made for Mom with her little grandkids' hand prints, and then seeing your new one that Shonna made for you! What a sweet tradition! We are so pleased that you and Ken like your Christmas presents from us. You are always so fun to pick out things for and it was done with love
! Your Christmas sounds very peaceful and such an appropriate observation of the birth of our Savior.