Wednesday, June 29, 2016

My Concert

Is it even legal for a sixty year old to put on a concert?  Several months ago, Sister Shin Sato asked me to do a concert for a Relief Society activity in June.  Because I didn't bring any of my music with me, it was a little tricky.  But I used accompaniments I had in my ITunes and Michelle and Brian found music for me at my house and sent it.  This 'ol gray mare ain't what she used to be, but I think it turned out okay. 



I asked a friend to sing a duet with me.  It was a privilege to join my voice with hers in testifying that our Savior loves us.
We invited our friend, Kadowaki san from the Community Volunteer Center to come.  She and her daughter, Shiho san came.  That was so nice. 

After the concert, Shin and Fumi made okonomiyaki and tacoyaki for everyone for lunch.  It was a delightful time.  The best part of the whole day came as we were sitting around the table eating.  We mentioned that our daughter and her husband are planning to come and visit us next spring.  They all looked puzzled and one asked, "So you'll come back to Japan?"  "No," Ken said, "We'll still be here.  We don't go home until the end of May?"  There were squeals of  delight, rejoicing and happiness.  This was all in Japanese.  "What?  What's happening?"  Then Ken explained that they thought our mission was just a year and that we were going home in December.  When they found out it is a year and a half, they just exploded with happiness.  They have had missionary couples before in this little branch, but only Japanese couples, and they've only stayed for one year.  So they just assumed that is how long we are staying.  Oh, it is just so nice to be wanted!!

3 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Great job with your concert! I'm sure it was wonderful! I wish I could have heard it all.

Pam said...

Love that sweet story about your staying over a year and their response to that. Of course they love you two. I'm proud of you for putting on a concert - hey, 60 is spring chicken category. The crazy Balladiers put on a full concert when we were all over 65. Wish I could have heard it!

Joanie Lindsey said...

Oh I wish I could have been there to hear your concert! I would have loved to come support you after all the years of support you gave me! I miss your vocal tutorship so much! Also, I love reading your updates. It is always so uplifting! I don't blame your friends from rejoicing knowing you won't leave them as soon as they thought!