Saturday, June 4, 2016

Tsuruoka City Festival

In Japan, many cities have an annual festival called a Matsuri.  Each city has a theme originating from an ancient legend for their Matsuri.  For weeks, we prepared for our city's festival- the Tsuruoka festival- at the volunteer center.  Week after week, we tore up paper into little pieces, making confetti,  so that the children can get in this "pit" and do this.  I guess it's something they look forward to all year. 

On the day before the festival, booths are set up and everyone heads downtown for the parade and food and fun.  Unfortunately, the day of the Tsuruoka Festival, we were in Sendai for a special conference which I will blog about next, so we missed the actual festival.  But Elder Hinton and the Elders dressed in the traditional costume and served juice to people, mostly children, at the festival eve. I was supposed to help, but my leg injury was still healing, so I wasn't able to go.  (Don't tell anyone, but I was kind of glad.  I think those costumes would have been uncomfortable and HOT!)
They met at Mrs. Kadowaki's home to dress in their costumes.
The elders:  Elder Tachibana (Japanese), Elder Hanson, Elder Morris, and Elder Mitchell (from near my hometown- Nampa, Idaho) Mrs. Kadowaki has become a dear friend as we work with her at the Volunteer Center.  She is in charge of the volunteers.  She has such a cute personality.

Ready to hit the streets.


There they go, armed with their juice bottles.






Tsuroka Park is always beautiful.  (It's where we took so many pictures of Sakura earlier)

Mrs. Kadowaki

I'm not sure what they are supposed to be, but it has some meaning in the legend.  Can you tell who is who?  I can.

I love this picture of Ken with a little girl with her juice. 


1 comment:

Joan Morris said...

I recognize Ken's arm! I don't blame you for not particularly wanting to go, I don't think I'd want to be dressed up in that costume either. I think I'd get claustrophobic. It's a cool festival though! More learning about the Japanese culture!