Thursday, June 9, 2016

Go With the Flow, and Laugh About it if You Can!

A sister in our branch has a large garden/ small farm.  Nearly every week, she brings vegetables to church with her and puts them in the genkan for people to take.  Last week, she brought a large quantity of this vegetable.  Everyone was so excited and it was gone in no time. 
The sisters had me take some.  I asked Sister Hirayama how to prepare it.  "Do you eat the leaves and the stems?"  I asked.  Sister Hirayama speaks English.  She said you take off the leaves.  So that afternoon, I made stir fry.  I had Ken carefully remove the leaves while I cut up a lot of other vegetables and we put it in our stir fry.  When we ate it, one of these leaves kind of caught in my throat.  It had a very rough texture.  So I commented to Ken that I didn't care for this vegetable.  I pushed the rest of the cooked, wilted leaves aside.
Later that evening, we took some of the vegetables to a less active sister- a 93 year old- that we visit frequently.  We told her we had had some for dinner and that we ate the leaves.  She got a look of horror on her face.  "You are supposed to throw away the leaves and eat the stems!"  she said.  "Are they poisonous?"  Ken asked.  "I don't think they'll hurt you, but they aren't good.  You are supposed to eat the stems!"  This was all in Japanese.  I was listening, trying to figure out why Ken was laughing so hard.
We have been racking our brains.  Can you think of any other vegetable that you eat the stems and discard the leaves?  We can't.  But, oh, have we laughed and laughed about this.  It just is so typical of our experience here.  We get part of what is said, but not the whole thing.  So, the delicious stems went in our garbage and the leaves kind of ruined our stir fry.  Oh well.  I could tell you many other similar stories.  I wonder if, in a year from now, we'll still be getting things so mixed up?  Oh well, in the meantime, our mantra is "Go with the flow, and laugh about it if you can!" 


For other mantra ideas, click here



7 comments:

Michelle said...

That's funny. . . In hindsight. ;).

Michelle said...

That's funny. . . In hindsight. ;).

Joan Morris said...

I'm glad you didn't have some crazy poisonous reaction!
Did you ever find out the name of it?

sara cardon said...

Rhubarb on that list?? I believe the leaves are poisonous (in high quantities-- soldiers during WWI ate the leaves in high doses because they were so hungry and were poisoned by them) but the stems are fine. Love the mantra!

Kay Hinton said...

Yes, rhubarb! Why couldn't we think of that?

Shonna said...

LOL!!! I'm glad you can laugh about it! ;)

Kristen Mackrory said...

Way too funny! I never would have thought to eat the stems instead of the leaves. Especially since the stems are so thin. It doesn't look like there is much to them. That is the perfect mantra for an experience in a new place!!