Saturday, June 11, 2016

An Emergency Transfer

Usually transfers are every six weeks.  I have learned since coming on this mission all about mission culture.  Missions are counted by transfers.  A missionary will tell you not, "I have been out on my mission for a year," but "I have been out nine transfers."  They tell you how long they were in each area by how many transfers they were there.  Anyway, that was all a surprise to me.  I didn't know that before serving. 
But, occasionally, something happens and a missionary goes home early, or someone gets sick, and that requires an emergency transfer.  That just happened here.  Elder Morris, our finest elder, just was called to do an emergency transfer and finish training a new missionary in an area in the north part of our mission. 
I think he was excited to be called upon, but sad to leave Tsuruoka.  We certainly were sad to see him go.  He is humble, hard-working, and a very fine and self-made young man.  We are sure he will be a great husband, father and priesthood leader someday. 
Elder Morris is the one next to me.


This is Hiroyuki.  You've met him before.  He was branch president here for ten years.  He nearly always comes and sees off the transferring missionary at the bus station.  Ken asked him how many times he's come to the bus station to see off a missionary?  You can see by the look on his face that it is impossible to count.  He is a huge support to the missionaries.  He frequently takes them where they need to be and often goes on visits with them.  He occasionally takes them out for a meal.  He's really not interested in learning English, but he often comes to English class to show support.  What a great guy! 

Elder Morris and his companion, Elder Tachibana



Ki O tsukete (take care), Elder Morris!  We love you!

3 comments:

sara cardon said...

I think it is no small coincidence that your favorite Elder just happens to be Elder Morris!!!! How about that?? ;)

Joan Morris said...

I want to be like Hiroyuki. What a good man. I'm sure you are rubbing shoulders with some of the best, just like you!

Pam said...

Hiroyuki sounds like a fine man! I'll bet it is hard to say goodbye to the elders. Maybe your paths will cross again. It's always a small world in the church!