Wednesday, June 1, 2016

I Want to Eat Ice Cream

Every Tuesday evening, we attend Katei no Yuube= Family Home Evening- at the branch.  Two sisters- Imi and this sister, Sachiko prepare a delicious meal for it every week.  It is hard work.  They are excellent cooks and they willingly feed everyone who shows up.  They do this week after week after week.  Imi speaks excellent English and so she and I have become good friends.  This sister, Sachiko doesn't speak much English, but we've learned to communicate and I've grown to love her. 
Last week, after cleaning up the kitchen and closing up the church, we were leaving and I heard her say, "I want to eat ice cream."  In English!!  I was so surprised!  Was that English?  Something about that just really struck me as so cute.   She may not speak a lot of English, but she's learned the most important phrase.  That and "I love you, " which she wrote on a note to me that I now have displayed in my kitchen.  Really, what else do you need to know? 
I hope she went home, put her feet up, and ate a huge bowl of ice cream.  She deserves it!!

3 comments:

Pam said...

I love this! What a cute lady! Does she prepare typical Japanese food? I hope you come home with some yummy Japanese recipes to share - you are such a great cook, I know they have kept you busy sharing delicious American food.

Joan Morris said...

Yes, that is definitely a very important phrase to learn ;)
Hopefully you and she can go out for a treat!

Michelle said...

That's awesome. She's got the important phrases down.