Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Major Pettigrew's Last StandMajor Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Charming. In one word, this book is charming. I loved seeing the world through Major Pettigrew’s very British eyes. I finished the book a few days ago and still catch myself wondering how the Major and Jasmina are doing. It was definitely a character- driven book, but it also had a very meaningful plot and plenty of action to keep me interested. The main theme is prejudice- prejudice and tradition in a fierce battle with acceptance and caring. But there are other sub-themes as well: aging, grief, materialism, father-son discord, etc. These are pretty heavy, but the book is sprinkled with just enough dry, witty humor to keep it light. I expect to see this one made into a movie.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Pal & Hatty said...

Sounds like a great book!