Thursday, October 2, 2014

Confessions of a Book Junkie


I have a problem.  As I understand it, that's the first step in recovery- admitting there's a problem.  I just keep buying and borrowing books.  I have so many to read, but I absolutely can't resist buying and gathering more books.  I have a shelf full of delicious unread books.  I have several on hold at the library, an Amazon shipment of books is on the way as we speak, and still I just bought another one at Costco.  I have an addiction.  When I go to Costco, I tell myself I won't go near the books.  I'll just stay away.  But, before long, I find myself at the paperback table.  I met my soul mate there a few weeks ago  As I approached the table, there was a young woman already there, caressing a book.  Yes, you heard me right, she was caressing a book.  As I picked up and looked at a book near her, I actually heard her start to moan a bit.  So I looked at her.  When someone's moaning, you have to look.  Seeing she had caught my attention, she said, "I love this book.  This is one of my favorite authors."  She then started telling me the plot.  I smiled and said that it sounded really interesting.  She then picked up another book and caressed it as well.  "This one is really good, too."  I said, "You really love books, don't you?"  To which she replied "So much.  I'm here with my friend.  She wanted me to go and look at the clothes, but I said I would be at the books.  I love to read."  I chose another book because the cover was bright and cheerful (I do SO choose a book by it's cover!) and left.  I now wish I'd chosen one of the ones she was so in love with.  She is my soul mate after all.  So, does anybody know the second step in overcoming an addiction?  Oh well.  I kind of like my addiction.  Now if you'll excuse me, my book (I'm rereading To Kill a Mockingbird right now) is calling me. . . .


4 comments:

Joan Morris said...

I feel your pain! I've got a stack of books by my bed.

Pal & Hatty said...

I think it is a good addiction - think how much you have learned and experienced and felt through all of your reading! I will be looking at all of your reviews and recommendations for good books to read when we return home!

Pal & Hatty said...

PS
Thank you so much for all of your thoughts and prayers - I know that it makes a big difference! I love you!

Jessica said...

I just love your writing, it always makes me smile! And I think it's a good addiction to have too. :)