Sunday, October 26, 2014

Daddy's Dresser


This is Daddy's Dresser.  It is a very special place at our house.  It actually was Ken's dresser when he was growing up.  Years ago, we repainted it and he's used it all of our married life.  So that makes it special.  But what makes it even more special is the role it plays in our home.  When anything gets broken, it gets put on Daddy's dresser and very shortly that item gets fixed- good as new.  It's almost magic.  You just set it there.  You don't have to say a word.  And usually that very day you get it back fixed.  One of my sweetest memories is of when Michelle was just a little pig-tailed two-year-old.  Ken was the bishop of our ward at the time.  As I was getting her ready for church one Sunday morning, her little, white patent leather shoe buckle broke.  Without saying a word, she hopped up, went into our bedroom, stood in front of Daddy's dresser, and with all her might, tossed her little broken shoe up there.  Already at age two she had discovered the magic of Daddy's dresser.  I recently tested it, to see if it still works.  I was sorting my jewelry and in the process broke the clasp of my pearl necklace.  I set it on the dresser, not saying a word.  Sure enough, not even an hour later I was presented with a repaired necklace.  Just like magic!
 So, I decided to give it an even harder test: When my brother returned from his mission in Germany some 45 years ago, he brought me a German jewelry box.  I've kept it ever since, but it was broken and badly in need of repair.  It was actually in pieces.  I put the precious box and it's pieces on Daddy's Dresser.  In a few days, I was presented with an almost-like-new German jewelry box.

In a world of harsh reality and hard, cold facts, it is a pleasure to introduce you to the mystery and joy of our magical "Daddy's Dresser!"

6 comments:

Joan Morris said...

That is miraculous. I wish I had a magic dresser around my house.

Pal & Hatty said...

What a wonderful story and you told it so well! I've always known Ken was a good man and now I know that he is also magic!D

Pal & Hatty said...

I forgot to say that I love your family picture - wonderful family all in blue, it doesn't get better than that!

sara cardon said...

How sweet is that?? Love this story!

Kristen Mackrory said...

How exciting that it still works! And so quickly. 1 hour later. Wow. This retirement thing is awesome.

Shonna said...

That is pretty impressive! lilys little toy broke today and she said its okay.Daddy will fix it. at our house daddy's bedside table is the dresser.