Saturday, May 9, 2009

Traditional Mother's Day Dinner

Years ago, I taught what was then called the "Merrie Miss" girls. Every year, just before Mother's day, our activity would be to teach them how to make the whole dinner so they could make it for their moms(most done on Saturday before). We would make Lasagna, Italian Salad, and garlic bread. Following are the recipes: Lasagna 1 32 oz bottle spaghetti sauce 1 8 oz/ pkg. lasagna noodles 1 lb. grated mozarella cheese 1 pint cottage cheese 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese 1 egg Parsley flakes 1 lb. hamburger, browned with 1 chopped onion In a large frypan, brown the hamburger and onion, drain and add the spaghetti sauce. In a bowl, mix cheeses with parsley and egg. Layer in a 9 x 13 pan: noodles(slightly precooked, though you can use them dry since they soak overnight in the fridge), filling, sauce, noodles, filling sauce. Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and store in fridge until Sunday. Put in timebake while you're at church at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Italian Salad 1 bunch broccoli, chopped fine 1 head cauliflower, chopped fine 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped fine 1 bottle Italian dressing Sunflower seeds, opt. Grated cheese, opt. Pour dressing over vegetables and marinade overnight.

3 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

I remember that! I wish I were going to be there so I could make it for you. You were such a good Merrie Miss leader.

Michelle said...

I was just thinking about that meal today b/c of Mothers Day! Thanks for teaching me how to cook. I don't know what I would do without "Kitchen Fun with Kay." It's almost as used as my scriptures.

Shonna said...

Yummy! I haven't made that meal for a very long time. I agree with both my sisters, you're a great mom and thanks for teaching me how to cook!