Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thirty Years!!!

This week, Ken celebrated 30 years with his accounting firm! It was May 20, 1979 that he began with what was then Carter and Kemp,CPAs. It was a small local firm; Ken brought the total employees to seven that year! Now, the firm is called Hinton, Burdick, Hall, and Spilker CPAs and Advisors- Ken the most senior partner. There are five offices (St. George, Cedar City, Mesquite, Hurricane and Richfield) with nearly 100 employees. What started as a little local firm is now by far the largest firm south of Provo, Utah - recently ranked by Utah Business Magazine as the fourth largest local CPA firm in the state. It's amazing to see the changes over the thirty years. Gwen Iverson, a para professional, was there when Ken started and is still there, but otherwise, Ken has been there by far the longest. He now has 11 partners. Congratulations, Ken!!!! I wanted to do this post, and realized we had NO pictures of Ken at work, so I tortured him by going to his office yesterday for a photo shoot!

11 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Congrats to Ken! Haven't we always told you that Ken Hinton is the richest man in St. George? Just let us know if he needs a good lawyer :)

Ada said...

Thanks for sharing (along with being tortured) the pictures and the milestone. How could it have been 30 years already???!!! It seems like yesterday we were having dinner here and you were trying to decide whether or not to take the position. And then the satisfaction of having you close began! We love you guys!

Brian said...

Go Dad! What a good idea to post about it, Mom. It's the stuff that we do everyday that we often forget to record. I've just realized that I haven't taken a single picture of my co-workers, my office, or my dance studio. I should do that before school ends. . . only 9 days left! WAHOO!

Dad sure is an incredible man.

Blake said...

This is an awesome post. I didn't know some of the things you said, so thanks for sharing it. You're awesome dad!

Shonna said...

Go Dad! I love all those pictures! Isn't Dad amazing? And he does all the landscaping and keeps up those gorgeous grounds doesn't he? I can't believe how much the firm has grown. I remember visiting his old office when I was a little girl, and every time we'd go visit him I'd get a root beer, creme soda or guava juice from the fridge. Oh wait, I think I got a juice from the fridge last I visited at his new office too.

James and Tricia Thomas said...

Wow!! 30 years!! Congratulations!! Thanks Ken for putting up with the photo shoot sometimes you have just take one for the team or in this case the blog!

Tom said...

Way to go Ken Hinton!! Now, since you are the richest man in St. George, and apparently you have about 99 people working for you (so you must have all kinds of free time), please bring that old shell-of-a-man body of yours up to Idaho and let's celebrate with 30 tough miles somewhere in the Sawtooths or Seven Devils. That will be the kind of torture I know you will love!

Kristen Mackrory said...

Holy cow! Thirty years ago, seven employees in the beginning, 4th largest local CPA firm in Utah...that really puts things into perspective. What a wonderfully successful career. Way to go dad! And way to go mom, for supporting him and getting him to do such an awesome photo shoot. Those pictures will be treasured!

sara cardon said...

Congrats!! That is certainly job loyalty. He looks so professional in nice big corner office with a view, right??:) I bet Paying-Taxes-Tom loves your expertise.

Sarah said...

Congrats, Ken! So that's kind of like being St. George royalty, right?

buddy said...

Congratulations to the successful man and the woman behind the successful man. We love you both. cg and jcg