Thursday, April 30, 2009

By Request

Since all three daughters have requested this story (I was sure I already told you), I'll tell the engagement story. It was between semesters at BYU. We were in love and decided to spend the week break traveling to meet our families- a trip we jokingly call our "first honeymoon." We first went to Hurricane (though I had already met his parents), then to Arizona and Nevada to visit three of his brothers. Then we traveled to Caldwell for him to meet my family. The whole trip (and before) we talked of marriage and love and other mushy stuff, so when the proposal came, I didn't even recognize it: We got up early one morning in Caldwell and went to play tennis. We came back and were in the family room. I was tired and wanted to take a nap. Ken said something like, "You know what would make me the happiest man in the world?" Then, "If you would be my wife." Like I said, we had been talking about it for weeks now, and I didn't see this as any different. So, I just smiled and turned over and tried to go to sleep. He was very hurt. Finally, he said, "Well, will you?" "Will I what?" Exasperated, "Marry me?" OH! I get it. So that's the story. Later, when my Dad came home for lunch, Ken asked him for my hand. I was in the yellow bathroom doing my make up or something. Daddy came in and gave me a hug and said, "I'm tickled to death." My dad wasn't very demonstrative, so that touched me deeply. So, there's the story. My sister, Patty predicted this would happen months earlier. I liked Ken and had started dating him when I came home for Christmas. We all went out to our favorite Chinese restaraunt, The Eastside in Ontario, Oregon. At the end of the meal, Patty grabbed my fortune cookie and "read" "There's a Hurricane in your future." Ha! That old Hurricane wind has been blowing ever since!!! PS Turnabout is fair play. Now, you have to tell your engagement stories on YOUR blogs!!!

1 comment:

Joan Morris said...

You are so cute! I remember that story. I was there :) It seems like I should have somehow played a role in it though. Wasn't I spying on you or suffering with the stomach flu in the car, or something.