Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Report Card

Loved the theme for last night: Songs from the movies. It's almost as good as songs from musical theater! I also thought that Quentin Terantino was a great mentor. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A . . . Danny- Endless Love . . . . . . He sings with such emotion every week. He's the complete package: nice voice, good performer, emotional connection with the audience. He followed Matt who was criticized for changing the melody and arrangement from the original. Danny was criticized for not changing it. Hard to win! I liked the harp. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A . . . Anoop- Everything I Do . . . . . . Crystal clear tone, beautiful delivery. Didn't quite reach the emotional level that Danny did, but pretty good. Why is this guy in the bottom three every week? He's really, really good! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A- . . . Kris - Falling Slowly . . . . . . Didn't know the song, but Kris sang it beautifully. Controlled, consistent tone. Beautiful. I don't know what Randy was talking about. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B+ . . . Matt - Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman . . . Great start and end, but a little shaky just before the end. I have a feeling it was just performance jitters, that it was much better in rehearsal. Though it was not a perfect performance, you have to look at what this guy does with arranging and on the piano. He is really, really talented. He's full of music. Terantino was right- his flaw (and Kris') is slurred diction. I think that was a little better on this song. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B- . . . Allison - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing . . . . . She's flat through most of the song- flat in pitch and tone. She doesn't look quite as crazy tonight, but man she comes up with weird outfits. Her pants match her hair perfectly! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C . . . Adam - Born to Be Wild . . . . . . . . . . Okay, I know he's got a good voice. But I don't like him. That's that. As Simon said, I'm on the Despise it side of things. He's not a rock star, he's an actor playing the part of a rock star. Every movement is blocked and staged. It's not wild and free as the song suggests, but contrived. The make up and nail polish are back. OOSH. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C- . . . Lil - The Rose . . . . . . . . . . . .. She just isn't that good. She was flat. The 2nd half was a little better than the 1st. I did feel bad for her and her frustrations. She's trying hard, but I'm afraid it's time for her to go home.

5 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Great evaluation. You'd think you were a voice teacher or something. I agree with your analysis. I really liked Kris and his song. He was the most "relevant" I thought of all the performances. I'd buy it because it was cool and different. I LOVED Anoop, but I think Anoop, Matt, and Lil will be in the bottom 3 with Matt going home. :(

Kristen Mackrory said...

I loved the report card idea and I have to say I TOTALLY agree...especially with the top 4. I really liked Anoop, Kris, Danny and Matt. I REALLY hope Anoop ISN'T in the bottom 3 this week. And I hope Joan's prediction of who is going home isn't right. I want Matt to stay.

James and Tricia Thomas said...

I love your report card!! Of course I could not stand Adam again this week so I am glad you agree!! And Danny is the best!

Joan Morris said...

Okay, so I'm a prophet, well sort of. I guess Matt didn't go home, but he would have without the dumb "Judge's save".

sara cardon said...

Wow!! We are SO on the same page about everybody. Don't you think it's silly they ended up saving Matt last night?? I think that'll bite everyone next week when two people go home. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be Adam and the judges won't be able to save him!! Ha ha. I agree completely that he comes off so fake-- like an actor playing the part of a rock star.