Tuesday, April 21, 2009

As the Mirrored Ball Spins

Disco Night- sort of. There was a lot of updating and arranging, so it didn't sound really disco, but I liked it. A . . .Kris . ."She Works Hard For the Money" . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Didn't you love his original,jazzy, acoustic version of this? Talent personified. Loved this. Move over, Donna. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A . . .Danny . . . "September" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. I admit, I'm a Danny fan. I think it's because no matter what he sings he makes me feel something. He's technically good, too: pitch, tone, phrasing,etc, but he takes the step higher and really makes you feel his song. (Michelle and Brian- this should be your theme song. "Do you remember? The twenty-first day of September? We danced the night away!") B+ . . . Matt . . . . . . . . I liked Matt's take on "Stayin Alive" I agree with Randy, this is a very talented kid. Awesome last note/notes/riff . . . Wow. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B+ . . . Adam . . . . . . . . . ."If I Can't Have You" . . . .. . . Man, I hate, hate, hate to do this, but to be fair, I have to . . . I don't trust the kid. I know he'll be back to the theatrics next week. But this is the first performance of his that I've liked. I am the first to admit that he is one of the most talented; I just don't like what he's going to do with that talent. But if I'd never seen him or any of the others before and watched this performance, I would have to place him here. I didn't like the shouty, screechy notes in the middle of the song, but the rest was good. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B . . . .Anoop . .. . "Dim All the Lights" . . . . Beautiful voice. Shaky last note, but the rest was good. I really like Anoop's voice. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C+ . . . Allison . . . "Hot Stuff" . . . .. . . I thought her pitch was better this week, and until the end, I thought she showed her nicer voice. Then she started the shouting/ yelling again. The judges obviously want her to stay, so don't dare say anything bad. I hope the two girls are the ones to leave. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C- . . . . Lil . . . . "I'm Every Woman" I thought her first three notes were good. Stupid, tuneless song. Shouting, "Come On Now!" and "OH, OH, Oh" isn't singing, and that's what most of this song was. It was messy and wild and Bye, bye Lil!

5 comments:

sara cardon said...

Wow. Once again I have to totally agree with your breakdown of last night. It really didn't feel too disco, did it? It seems like this is the first year where almost all of the performers are more original and are taking more liberties with the arrangements-- it's always been "karaoke" in years past if you ask me b/c they're singing someone else's song.

Joan Morris said...

You are so right on!! I look so forward to your "rundowns". Go Kris, he's my man. I agree that they are the most talented, original bunch of Idols in a long time. Do you remember Jason Castro last year? he could hardly remember the words... Anyway, I'm afraid the judges are going to cram Adam down our throats until he wins, but alas, it is up to America from here on out!

James and Tricia Thomas said...

I love the comentary!! I hope your right and the girls go home!!

Shonna said...

I love the new look of your blog--so cute!

Natalie Sue said...

I totally missed it! This is when I need a DVR or something. :) But I knew I could get a recap if I came to your blog! Sounds like I would have agreed with you, just from who I already like anyway!