Saturday, April 18, 2009

Vegetable Chowder

I've had this recipe so long, I really can't even remember where I got it. But it's Ken's VERY favorite soup that I make. It's a little time consuming, peeling and cutting up all those potatoes and veggies, but so worth it. 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I use the precooked) 6 green onions, chopped 10 med. potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/4 cup chopped green pepper 2 stalks celery, diced 3 carrots, peeled and sliced 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 quart boiling water with heaping T. ham flavored Better than Boillion Salt to taste 1 T. worcestire sauce Several drops Tabasco ( this is the secret ingredient that makes it so good) 1 quart half and half In a large kettle, saute bacon, then add carrots and celery. Saute for a couple of minutes, then add all veggies, Water and seasonings. Cover and simmer until veggies are tender. Mash with a potato masher. Pour in half and half. Slowly heat, but do not boil. Taste and add Salt and pepper if desired. Let the good times roll.

2 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Yum! Have I had that before? I'll have to try it :)

Shonna said...

So yummy! We made it 2 days ago, oh wait, you know that 'cuz I called and asked you a question. Thanks for always helping me when I get stuck in cooking "fixes".