Friday, December 22, 2023

Upstairs at the White House

 

Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First LadiesUpstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies by J.B. West
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Non. Fiction. I really liked this book. It was written by the Chief Usher at the White House during six different administrations. The chief usher’s job is to make and keep the white house running the way the first family, especially the first lady, wants it. He told a lot about the personalities and family life of Eleanor Roosevelt, Bess Truman, Mamie Eisenhauer, Jacqueline Kennedy, Lady Bird Johnson, and Pat Nixon and his relationship with each. Unlike the “tell -alls” of modern day, he was most respectful in his writing. But he did share some cute anecdotes about each. He seemed to like and respect all of the first ladies. He seemed especially fond and close to Jacqueline Kennedy. I learned so much about each of them and loved learning their values, likes, dislikes, and family life. I really think most would enjoy reading this book.

View all my reviews

No comments: