Sunday, December 17, 2023

More Blasts from the Past-2

 I am part of a Facebook group about my hometown, Caldwell, Idaho in the years I was growing up there.  I don't know where they get them, but people post pictures from that era, bringing back many memories to me.  Here are some more blasts from my past.

R & B Market was our neighborhood market.  It was just a few blocks from my home.  We could easily walk there to buy candy or pick up something for my mom.  Most every morning, my mom would call my dad's nurse at the office and have her leave a grocery list for my dad on his desk.  He would stop and buy what she needed on his way home for lunch. Therefore, our ingredients for dinner were fresh.  We rarely ate meat that had been frozen.  

The Hi-Pop-Inn was right next to our old white church (you can see it on the right) and right across the street from the Jefferson Junior High School.  It was just a tiny little fast-food place with a cooking area and a counter that surrounded that area. It was run by one or two people and the menu was limited. Junior high school students (9th graders only!) crowded in there at lunch time to purchase hamburgers, green rivers, snacks, and candy.  In 9th grade, I attended seminary in the church next door.  Afterward, we would head to the Hi-Pop-Inn for fresh maple bar doughnuts.  Oh my, those were delicious.  Everyone who attended Jefferson Junior high school has stories to tell about the Hi Pop Inn.

This was a beautiful rose garden at the base of Canyon Hill.  It was always beautifully cared for and maintained.  Though I haven't been back to Caldwell for many years, I think it is still there.
Meet George.  George is an icon of Caldwell.  He was a genius.  He had cerebral palsy.  He couldn't speak or walk.  The community helped set him up in a little newspaper stand on the corner of a busy street in Caldwell.

It was called George's Gyp Joint.  He ran the store and could be found inside.  He could communicate by pointing with a pointer he held in his teeth to a board someone had made for him.  It had letters, but it also had phrases he commonly used on it.

As children we loved to go in there and look around and buy trinkets, toys, and candy from George.  I can remember my dad encouraged us to shop in George's Gyp Joint to support George.

Stay tuned for more blasts from my past.  People keep posting old pictures!



2 comments:

Shonna said...

I love reading your memories! What's a green river? And that's awesome that George was able to provide for himself! Cerebral palsy is such a hard one. Have you read the Melody books? She's a genius too.

Kristen Mackrory said...

What a happy, happy post! I loved reading about and seeing pieces of your childhood. I look forward to seeing more.