Tuesday, December 26, 2023

The Shattered Dream

 

The Shattered DreamThe Shattered Dream by Gene Smith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a sad book. It is a biography of Herbert Hoover. He may be the most qualified man to ever be president of the United States. But his timing was horrible. And he lacked charisma. He was born into indigent circumstances but was extremely intelligent and a genius at problem solving. He became very wealthy and sought-after by companies for his problem-solving skills. He became president just as the stock market crashed, bringing on the great depression. The author’s feelings are that Hoover and Wilson were the best presidents this country ever had. “ In the end, a chosen few said of him that the world had dealt as cruelly with him as with any man who ever lived.” I am afraid that is true. I wish history had been kinder to Herbert Hoover.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Kristen Mackrory said...

Interesting. Thank you for teaching me that.