Wednesday, April 26, 2023

You Are Trying to Write Two Books Here

Grandma's Stories


 For well over a year now I have been writing a book.  It is a collection of stories from my life.  I am calling it "Grandma's Stories."  My intent is that it be for my grandchildren.  It has been an overwhelming project for me.  My goal is to have it done for Christmas to give a copy to each of our grandchildren.  

I was nearing completion of the book when I decided I wanted to include more stories from our mission.  I thought of several that I wanted to include, then spent much time looking for where I had previously recorded those stories.  Memories fade and I wanted to make sure I had the details right.  I had several places to look:  my missionary journal, my blog, emails written home during our mission, and a small document I had written called "Mission Stories."  I was spending much time looking for the stories and pictures to go with them.  I felt I was accomplishing little.  One day, as I was hunting and feeling frustrated, I got a very distinct impression, "You are trying to write two books here."  Chills ran over me as I recognized the truth of those words.  The stories about our mission should be a separate book- a report of that year-and-a-half serving the Lord.  It was a book in itself.  

Relief flooded me as I realized I didn't have to get it all done right now.  I could finish my "Grandma's Stories" and then tackle the mission book.  I have prayed many times for help in writing this book.  I am grateful for the help that came in the form of a prompting from the Holy Ghost.

1 comment:

Shonna said...

I love this! Yes, 2 books sound just perfect.