Thursday, December 29, 2022

Nobody's Fool

 

Nobody's Fool (Sully #1)Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Richard Russo (winner of the Pulitzer Prize) is a genius at characterization and relationships. This book is certainly not plot-driven. There really isn’t a plot. And the main character, Sully, is not a stellar person- he gambles, spends foolishly, cheats, etc, but he also is generous, caring, and funny. He is real and somehow still likable, despite his faults. The story is set in a small New York town and, though it is 549 pages of very small print, it only covers a few days in time. It is funny, sad, and though you have to look for it, complex. I think I would give it barely 4 stars, but the language, as is my practice, brings it down to 3 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments: