Friday, December 23, 2022

My Hymnbook

 On the fourth Friday of each month, I post one of my or one of Ken's favorite things.  This is one of my favorite things.  

My old hymnbook is one of my favorite things.

There is a story here. I love the hymns.  A few years ago, I did an intense study of the hymnbook:  I played and sang each one, I pondered the words and looked up the scriptures that relate to the words (bottom right under each hymn.)  I read about the history of each hymn, it's author and composer.  I wrote copious notes right in my hymnbook, surrounding each hymn.  In the first presidency preface in the front of the hymnbook, it says that the hymnbook should stand next to the scriptures. I came to understand that in a profound way.  Studying the hymns truly increased and strengthened my testimony of the gospel.

My friend, Marsha Burdick made the beautiful cover for my hymnbook.  It is old and worn now, but I can't bear to part with it.  The book itself is falling apart.  It is literally held together with velcro, duck tape, and prayers!





Another thing that makes my hymnbook special is that I have people that come into my home sign their favorite hymn. More than once I have passed it around at family gatherings for signatures. Sometimes I take it to church and have people sign- like when I was ward choir director I passed it around and had people sign.  Recently, when I taught the gospel doctrine lesson on the Psalms, I passed it around and had people sign it.  I love to look through the pages and see people's favorites.  It gives me insight into their souls.  
When asked what I would grab if there was a fire and I had to escape quickly, my list would definitely include my old hymnbook.  It is irreplaceable.  It is definitely one of my favorite things.

3 comments:

Shonna said...

I love your hymn book!

Shonna said...

Our ward did a sing along from the hymn book today in sacrament mtg. People could bear testimony of a hymn that was special to them. Then we'd all sing a verse from it together. I loved it!

Ada said...

I love what you’ve done with your hymn book! Inspiring!