Monday, March 22, 2021

Uncommon Type

 

Uncommon TypeUncommon Type by Tom Hanks
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a collection of seventeen short stories written by actor Tom Hanks. Common to all of the stories is each incorporates an old-fashioned typewriter somewhere in the story. Of the seventeen stories, I marked eight of them as liking them. The others were okay. A few were really excellent and thought-provoking. My two favorites were Christmas Eve 1953 and Go See Costas. The first presents the dichotomy of a veteran now he is home, married, with two children and the joy of family on Christmas eve. Compare that with the hellish life he lived as a soldier in WWII.
Go See Costas presents the extreme difficulty of being a refuge immigrant, trying to relocate in New York City. It moved me to tears.
Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors. I now appreciate his talent as a writer as well.


View all my reviews

No comments: