Friday, March 26, 2021

We Stand On Their Shoulders

I love this picture.  It is my dad trying to climb a tree.  His dad is helping from below, pushing with all of his might. 

It reminds of a lesson I learned while serving a mission with my husband in Japan:
We had a particularly sweet missionary success one day.  We were reveling in it; full of joy and happiness.  I suddenly had a distinct, clear, even vivid impression that my great grandfather was the reason we had that success.  It was his faithfulness that was being visited upon our heads.  He was below me, pushing me up that tree.  
In D&C 98:37 it says:
37 And I, the Lord, would afight their battles, and their children’s battles, and their children’s children’s, until they had avenged themselves on all their enemies, to the third and fourth generation.

One of the promises to covenant Israel is that we are blessed by what our fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers did.  The same is true for our posterity- to the fourth generation.  They will be blessed by what we do.  That is God's promise to us, the covenant children of Israel.  
In the October, 2020 general conference, President Nelson admonished us:
"As you study your scriptures during the next six months, I  encourage you to make a list of all that the Lord has promised He will do for covenant Israel."
Here's one to add to your list:  He will fight our battles, our kids' battles, their kids' battles, and their kids' battles.  They can stand on our shoulders.  We can help them climb that tree, just as our forefathers are helping us climb ours.  What a beautiful promise!!

1 comment:

Joan Morris said...

I love this thought and the picture!!