Monday, March 15, 2021

A Brief Guide to the Sound of Music

 

A Brief Guide to the Sound of MusicA Brief Guide to the Sound of Music by Paul Simpson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When in Austria several years ago, we took the “Sound of Music” tour. It was really a fun tour, showing the filming locations of my favorite musical, as well as Salzburg and the surrounding hills and countryside. Then, a few years later, we visited the Von Trapp family lodge in Vermont. The gift shop there had many books written about the Von Trapp family and the movies about them. I asked the clerk which one she recommended and she suggested this one. I bought it, and then put it on my shelf to read later. I recently discovered it there and so enjoyed reading it. It covers the real story of the Von Trapp family and, in detail, covers the plots of the two German-produced films, the Broadway musical, the very popular Japanese anime version, the live stage broadcast (Carrie Underwood) version, and, of course, the film we all love, “The Sound of Music.” I loved reading about the cast members, the music, and the details of the filming of the musical. I’m not sure the title of the book is accurate, because I felt it was more comprehensive than brief. It was a fun read!

View all my reviews

No comments: