Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Released From Young Women and a New Calling

This post is a hard one to write.  On Sunday, February 24th, I was released from serving in the Young Women organization in our ward.  Actually, the entire presidency and staff were released.  And the entire presidency and staff of the young men (except the scoutmaster who is irreplaceable!) were released.  And the presidency of the Relief Society was released.  It was a big day in our ward, and personally, a sad day for me.
I have loved serving in the young women program.  I have loved being in the presidency with sisters who I love and admire.  I have loved each and every young woman.  I have thought about them and worried about them and prayed for them and loved them.
When Ken and I were on the airplane flying home from our mission to Japan, I turned to him and asked, "Now that we're heading home, what calling would you like to have?"  He answered that he was willing to do whatever he was called to, but then he named a calling he had always wanted to have.  Within a couple of weeks, he was given that calling- a thank you note from Heavenly Father.  The calling didn't last long, but he held it and enjoyed it for a few months.
Then he asked me the same question.  My answer was that I would like to teach.  I had been in a place where I couldn't even talk, let alone teach.  Teaching sounded fun.  But then I added that I mostly just didn't want to be put out to pasture.  I wanted to serve.  Well, I would have never dreamed that that would be with the young women.  I thought I was too old for that.  But it was perfect for me.  It stretched me and kept me young and active.  And it introduced many people into my life that truly blessed me.
Working in the young women is pretty demanding.  You have Sunday classes and weekly activities.  We also take our young women to the temple for baptisms once a month.
There are young women presidency meetings.  And Mia Maid class presidency meetings to prepare for and hold monthly.  But really, I loved it all.  Well, maybe all except the all- youth, once a month Mutual activities.  Those were too loud and crazy for me.
So I'm sad.  But I feel like the timing is good.  I just got new, wonderful Mia Maids, so it's a good time for them to get a new leader.  I just finished my personal progress award.  I feel like I served well and faithfully and, mostly I loved.  I truly loved these precious young women.  I feel like I did what I was called to do.
In that same appointment with the bishop, I was given a new calling- that of Gospel Doctrine Teacher.  This will stretch me and help me to grow and learn more and to serve adults in my ward.  I am grateful for the opportunity.  I taught my first lesson last week.  It went well.  I was so grateful to wonderful ward members who made such great comments and blessed all with their wisdom.
Though I have for many, many years read my scriptures every day, having to teach made me really study the scriptures.  It was a whole new level of study.  That will be good for me.  I am grateful for the opportunity to teach and am humbly grateful for the 1 1/2 years I got to serve in young women.  I loved it!
We went out to dinner to celebrate our time as a presidency the other night.
Kim-2nd counselor, Me-1st counselor, Charmaine-President, Kayla- Beehive Advisor
How I love these ladies!


1 comment:

Shonna said...

It was a perfect calling for you and you've done an amazing job!