Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Ain't Technology Grand?

We are so very blessed to live in these days and to serve a mission now when technology makes connecting with loved ones so very easy.  Recently, we attended the birthday party for Jaron via skype.  His other grandparents attended from their home as well. 


His super hero birthday cake
It was fun to help sing to him and to see the joy.  I love how he covers his mouth until we get through singing so that he won't blow the candles too early- so Jaron.  We love that little guy. 
Then we skyped with Kristen's family for Jake to open his presents.  Their three year old had to show us how she puts on her make up.



Then, a few days later, we skyped with Kenny to watch him open his presents and blow out his candles.




I can't help but compare our experience with my grandfather's.  Just before we left on this mission, I transcribed part of my great grandfather's missionary journal.  He served in Hawaii in very primitive conditions.  He faithfully wrote in his journal every day.  He often commented on how he longed for news from home.  It came by slow boat- if it came at all. It broke my heart to read his longing for any news from home.  We are grateful to live now when communication is so possible and so easy. 
Ain't technology grand?



1 comment:

Michelle said...

It is! Such a blessing! It was SO great to have you "there" for the celebrations. It made it feel like you were not far away for a while. :-) I love hearing you cheer for my kids as they blow out their candles or try to impress you. It means a lot.