Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Chrysanthemum's Turn to Shine

It seems the flowers here take turns shining.  During the very hot summer, there weren't many flowers, but now the autumn varieties are blooming.  One beautiful autumn day, after we worked at the Volunteer Center, we decided to walk around Tsuruoka park(it's right by the Volunteer center.)  We happened on to this display of award-winning chrysanthemums.  They were beautiful and many had award ribbons tied around them.   Who knew there were so many varieties of chrysanthemums.   Please enjoy the beautiful flowers!  We did!











I have a soft spot for bright yellow mums.  It was a tradition at our high school in Caldwell, Idaho that mums were the corsage flower for Homecoming each fall.  Our school colors were gold and blue, so the bright yellow mums had a pipe cleaner blue C (for Caldwell and for Cougars) wired in the center.  That's what everyone wore for their corsage to the homecoming dance.  Just seeing these beautiful yellow mums took me back to Homecoming night in Caldwell in the '70s.  I can even remember what I wore, who I went with and the fun we had! 

2 comments:

Pam said...

That's a happy memory, Kay! I do remember those bright yellow mums with the C in th middle! You two happend on to a gorgeous display of flowers!

Pal & Hatty said...

I am continually amazed at the beauty that you find in Tsuruoka - flowers, trees, birds, art exhibits, even the food is beautiful! I am so glad that you take so many interesting pictures and share this amazing culture and country with us! Thank you!