Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Kay's Excellent Adventure

I shouldn't do this post because it let's you know what a wimp I am.  Confession:  I am not very adventurous.  I never have been.  I can remember when my Dad would take us off-roading in the Jeep.  I would insist on getting out and walking.  I remember my brother speeding in his little black Karmann ghia car.  My sister, Joan, would be screaming, "Faster!  Faster!" at the same time I was screaming and even crying, "Stop!!!!"  I could give many more examples.  So what am I doing here?  I'm not sure.  It's been one adventure after another.  Maybe Heavenly Father wanted to teach me something?  But usually Ken is at my side for all of the adventures: shopping at the store, getting my haircut, giving talks, visiting strangers, etc.  He's always there. Well, except I do go on walks alone frequently. And I walk to and from church alone often.  But then I don't have to talk to people (other than greeting them) and I stay on familiar roads and I do just fine.  It's the purchasing things and trying to figure out what the item is or what the menu item is that I haven't done much.  I've spent the equivalent of about $10 on my own here.  I know.  It's pathetic.
Ken had to go to Sendai for stake conference meetings all day on Saturday (he had to speak at the priesthood leadership meeting at conference in Japanese!  Talk about adventure!)  That left me home alone. Rather than just sit home alone,  I decided I was going to brave the Japanese world on my own.  I was craving a good 'ol American hamburger and McDonald's is about a 20 minute walk from our apartment.  So, I donned my coat and headed out for lunch.  It's scary to try to order and pay and all of that on my own. 
As I walked past our neighbor's garage, I saw Grandma and Granddaughter working together.  They speak virtually no English, but Grandma communicated that they were making tsukemono- Japanese pickles.  Japanese people  pickle many different things and serve the pickles with their rice dishes.  They are delicious.    They grew these turnips.  They harvested them, washed them, put them in large plastic bags, then added salt, sugar, and vinegar to pickle them.  Notice how they squat as they work. 

It was fascinating to watch them work for a little while.  See, a great start to my adventure.

It rained a bit on the way, so my hair doesn't look good, but I had to take a selfie with Ronald so I could prove I made it.

Looks just like home, doesn't it?

I ordered, paid, and even asked for it "to go" in Japanese. I know.  I'm pretty amazing.

The reward:  a good 'ol American Big Mac. 

I hope you enjoyed "Kay's Excellent Adventure." 

4 comments:

Pam said...

Kay, this is one of the cutest posts EVER! It's right up there with Missy's "Gold Medal Marshmallows"! You are such a cute writer - AND SO VERY adventurous!

Joan Morris said...

Great job Kay!! It was an excellent adventure. I remember you getting out of the car when we were up in the mountains on a high mountain road going up a hill or around a curve. Look how adventurous you have become. I am so very proud and bring me back some of those pickles ;)

Pal & Hatty said...

Kay, I am so proud of you! You do so many amazing things and learning and communicating in Japanese tops the list! I remember that fear when you order in another language in front of others and it is scary! You always tell your adventures with such flair - you are a great writer!

Don Hinton said...

Kay, your post absolutely delighted me!!! How fun! And to think that you stopped and investigated the pickle making! An adventure within an adventure! However, unless I missed my guess, the "Good ol' American hamburger" you got in Japan was really a "Good ol' American Hamburger with an Asian twist" -- at least if the burgers McDonald serves in Japan reflect similar adaptations of burgers sold in Hong Kong that would be true. Still, living over there, it is "good enough!"