Thursday, June 19, 2014

Happy Birthday to Me!

I had a very nice birthday.  I just had to share with you the video that Kristen sent me. She lives far away from us and from all family. So when it's Grandma's birthday or some other family member's (I know she did it on my mom's birthday in February, too)she makes that person's favorite foods for dinner and talks about them, so that the kids learn their heritage and celebrate vicariously.  On my birthday, she had the kids help her make my favorite chocolate cake- with half chocolate and half German chocolate frosting.  They had my favorite tacos for dinner and then birthday cake for dessert.  The next morning, Jake asked if they had sent Grandma her cake.  Kristen told him no that would be pretty hard.  "We need to send it to her.  It's her birthday."  Kristen said that wouldn't work.  He said, "Then let's fly in an airplane and give it to her."  
But I didn't totally miss out on cake.  Ken surprised me with this beautiful cake:

Happy birthday to me!!


4 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

What a fun cake with such a sweet message!

Joan Morris said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Michelle said...

Happy birthday! What a great idea Kristen has. That video is adorable. Dad MUST love you ... that cake is amazing!

sara cardon said...

I love that tradition! A great idea when you live far from family!