Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Always put a little salt in sweet things and a little sugar in salty things

This was Grandma- Libby Fox Peterson's- mantra- or at least one of them.  I remember her carrots tasting so sweet and her divinity being just divine (I'm sure with a pinch of salt in it!)  She had other mantras, too.  She was the queen of the one-line mantras.  I remember her saying, "A stitch in time saves nine" and "waste not; want not," "What goes around comes around," "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," All's well that ends well,  and many, many others.  They come to me at appropriate moments and help me do better. "Always put a little salt in sweet things and a little sugar in salty things" is a great one to remember when cooking.  Thanks, Grandma!


For other mantra ideas, click here.

4 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Yes! I so remember her saying all those things - I love that picture of grandma. We share such a rich heritage.

Kristen Mackrory said...

I love those sayings. I have grown up on a couple of those too. So fun to know that is where they came from.

Joan Morris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joan Morris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.