Friday, September 28, 2012

Bronco's Back!


If you're a BYU fan, you've been suffering for the last week.  There just wasn't much good about last week's game against Boise State.  Not much good at all.  But I'm going to cheer you up, because there was one really good thing about that game:   The REAL Bronco is back!
I remember well the last time the Cougars played Boise State on the Smurf Turf (who thinks of this stuff???) It was 2004.  Bronco was the defensive coach. We lost that one, too, but it was a nail-biter.  But I will never forget a scene from that game.  It's stuck with me all these years:  Much like in last week's game, the Cougar defense had to make a goal-line stand against the Boise offense.  It was tough.  There was a time out and the camera showed Bronco coaching those boys.  They held!  Just like last week, the defense held and prevented the score.  The television then showed what Bronco was doing during the play.  He was crouched down, like he himself was on the line with the boys.  He was clapping and encouraging with all his might.  Then when they held, he went crazy.  He was jumping up and down and looked much like the picture above. He was ecstatic.   He hugged and high-fived all of those boys as they ran off the field.  He was so happy and so proud of those boys.  I've never forgotten that.  It literally brought tears to my eyes.  

  



 Then, Bronco was made head coach.  He wanted to bring back the old traditions and he wanted to be like his hero, Lavell Edwards.  We saw a big change in the demeanor of Bronco.  He stood stoically on the sidelines, rarely showing emotion, rarely cracking a smile or even clapping his hands.  He was emulating his hero.  But I missed the real Bronco.  I missed the enthusiasm.  I missed the "I'm in there with you" feeling.  



 Well, last Thursday, when the Cougar defense held the Broncos (not to be confused with Bronco) for four straight downs on the one yard line, we saw the return of the REAL Bronco.  He was crouched, encouraging and intense during the plays.  After the fourth held down, he was jubilant.  We saw him jump up and down and slap the hands and pound the backs and hug those boys as they returned to the sidelines with honor.  Ah, it's good to have the real Bronco back.
 In the years since that 2004 meeting with Boise State, that image of the intense, jubilant Bronco has flashed through my mind many times.  I like to picture that that is how my Savior is with me when I'm having to do a hard thing- a really hard thing.  He's not actually in there with me, but if He could He would be.  But he's crouched on the sidelines, totally focused on me and cheering me and blessing me in every way He can.  Then when I come out the other end victorious, He's there to hug and congratulate and jump up and down and rejoice with me. I really like that image.   It brings tears to my eyes.  It helps me.

So, whether he's here to stay or not, it was nice to have the real Bronco back- at least for a few minutes.
Go Cougars!

4 comments:

Shonna said...

I like this post--a great analogy.

Pal & Hatty said...

Great analysis - another great post!

Pam said...

I'm not sure what that Bronco M.'s stoicism is all about, but, we too, were so excited to see him get excited!

Joan Morris said...

I love those Cougars! Bronco gets it, in more ways than one.
Good analogy.