Wednesday, September 26, 2012

If This Old Jar Could Talk

We have two peach trees, so recently bottled some peaches.  I was intrigued by this old canning jar that was among our bottles, so I got online to find out more about it. Wow!  That opened a whole world to me that I didn't even know existed.  People pay big bucks for vintage jars!  This one is especially rare, as the Drey glass company didn't exist for too long.  Drey was purchased by Ball.  They just used the same glass stamping machines, but added their "PERFECT MASON"  stamp. There is a whole culture out there of people who buy and sell vintage canning jars.  Who knew?
But to me, the  value of this old jar is who's shelf it has been on, who's hands have held it and popped it's lid to feed hungry little one it's store of cherries or peaches or pears or applesauce.  Ken's family have been bottlers from way back, so who knows?  I do know that Ken's dad had an orchard, and his grandfather made a living by peddling fruit.  In our early marriage, we spent many a day in Hurricane, bottling with the extended family.  Grandpa would build a big bonfire and we'd sit outside at tables and peel and bottle fruit.  Grandpa would put our filled bottles in huge washtubs filled with water and process the fruit over the bonfire.  It was hard, but unifying work.  Those bottling parties were just part of the Hinton family culture.  Ken can remember the juice running down to his elbows as he helped as just a tiny child.  Wouldn't it be fun to know this bottle's history? I wonder if Ken's mom dumped and strained peaches from it to make her famous peach cobbler to feed her seven hungry boys.  She'd make two huge pans of it at once, and it would all be gone at the end of the meal.   I wish it could talk and tell me where it's been and who it's seen.
  I wasn't even surprised that it sealed just fine and it now sits on a shelf in my basement storage room.  I think I'll save it until my grandkids are visiting so I can tell them about this special bottle while they consume it's contents.  I hope Nathan will visit because he loves canned peaches and slurps them down so fast, you can't believe it.  He definitely has Hinton blood and my mom's blood- she also loved canned peaches.  I'll pass on the tradition of peaches and bottling and sharing and family.  I think that's what canning is all about.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Aunt Kay - we have been canning over the last couple of days and every time it brings back memories of summers for us coming up to do canning in Hurricane. Great, Great memories. Thanks for the post!

Pal & Hatty said...

Kay - I love your posts - you are such a good writer! We have a can-a-thon every fall as I get together with my daughters and daughter-in-law and can peaches,mind lots of grandchildren and make memories. We just canned 5 bushels a couple of weeks ago. I love the memories you shared from your canning times with Ken's family and from Ken's growing up years!

sara cardon said...

So fun to catch up on your blog posts! How can I get in on this canning action?? Sounds wonderful! Lucy LOVES canned peaches (the store bought ones) so I'm sure she'd the love the real thing even more. The most I've ever done is make freezer jam, but apparently the hygienists at Jon's clinic make fun of me mercilessly for making my own jam (they think I'm secretly Amish), so be it.:)

Shonna said...

I can't wait to head down to eat some peaches and to learn how to can next season. I also remember being outside Grandma and Grandpa Hinton's house with everyone sitting at those big tables with big bowls of peaches. And I love how your blog is such a wonderful journal.

Joan Morris said...

Great post. Patty and I used to can peaches, pears and salsa. Those are happy memories.

Kristen Mackrory said...

What a heart-warming post. I have tears in my eyes because I know exactly what you mean. You did such a beautiful job of putting it into words. I have wonderful memories of canning with you as a child...and an adult and now I treasure those canning moments with my family. I love the picture of Grandma Hinton opening that exact jar as she lovingly prepares a meal and a highly anticipated dessert for my wonderful father when he was a child. I'm grateful for her and the love and service she gave him. I'm grateful you gave me that same loving service and hopefully I will be able to do the same for my children. What a beautiful symbol of the the love of parents in providing for their children and teaching them hard work and self-reliance.

Pam said...

What a beautiful description of your canning days with Ken's family! I loved reading about your thoughts of canning.