Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Poisonwood Bible

The Poisonwood Bible The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver My rating: 3 of 5 stars I finished this book a couple of days ago, and have since been trying to decide how I feel about it. There is no denying that this author is an exceptional writer. She is talented. She tells the story of a mean, troubled, abusive preacher who brings his wife and four daughters to the Congo to serve as missionaries in the late 1950’s. They are completely unprepared for what they find there and the lifestyle they will lead. The story is told in the voices of the five women/girls. I was amazed at the author’s ability to push the story forward in this unique format, and to make each voice so distinct and believable. It was a sad story, told in minute detail for the first two-thirds of the book, taking us through the uprising and war of Independence from Belgium for the country, and personal tragedy for the family. Then we see a real change in the book, as the author rushes through, using the book to forward her political agenda. I didn’t like that much. But, I have to say that it is a good book and would make an excellent choice for a book club, as there is so much to discuss. Here are some of the things the author obviously believes and wants us to assume as fact: 1) A mother loves her last-born most 2) Americans are materialistic, shallow, and spoiled 3) “Christian” preachers are fanatics and misguided, at best 4) Eisenhower ordered the death of Patrice Lumumba, the first leader of the newly independent country. Can you see how you could have some interesting discussions? The book has political overtones, but the real story is of this troubled family and their difficult and tragic life in the Congo. View all my reviews >>

4 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

Interesting sounding book. Did the author's political agenda drive you crazy or were you able to enjoy the story? Thanks for the detailed review!

triciathomas said...

I have been eyeing that book for a while and now after your review I am still thinking about it. I had no idea it was a book like that! I thougth it was a feel good book.

sara cardon said...

Hmmmm, I was kind of undecided on this book too. It was slightly disturbing-- and much more serious than her other books that I've read. I liked your review.

Pal & Hatty said...

Kay, you are an excellent writer! Seriously - you could do professional book reviews and things like that! I loved our time together in St. George!