Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Idol 9

Lenin/McCartney Night
Man, oh, man! This is a tough one to critique. I really enjoyed all of the performances and I loved the videos where we got to know the contestants better: Andrew has a personality, Siobhan is really that unique, Crystal is a motherer, and Tim really is a happy person. Oh and Andrew and Lee are best friends and are going to have Danny Gokey babies. Cool. So, I'll give it my best shot, but honestly, I could be swayed. I thought they all did well.
1. Crystal: Ironic I'm giving Crystal first this week when I really don't think this was her best ever performance, and I've never given her 1st before. I'm just impressed with her- she's growing on me. Week in/ week out she nails it- pitch perfect. The hippie vibe is back. Loved the Didgeridoo (even though it was off-pitch at times)
2. Casey: I didn't know the song, but for the first time, Casey dug deep and helped us feel something. Very naked, vulnerable performance.
3. Katie: Okay, so she had the best song: "Let It Be" I really thought she would need to sing something young and uptempo this week, but she totally surprised me. She sang this beautifully. I really liked this arrangement. It's the best I've heard her sing.
4. Siobhan: She has nice low tones AND she didn't scream. Her middle range needs some work- she needs to lift her palette a bit so it's not so nasally (my opinion) But very nice.
5. Tim: I know, surprising. But I liked it. He looked the part, he was on pitch and sounded nice.
6. Andrew: I really liked this arrangement and thought he did it well. For the first time this season, I thought the back-up singers really helped the song.
7. Lee: You can't call that karaoke or wedding singer (a bagpiper in a kilt!). He was a little flat through most of it, so that's why the low rating. I love that he's more comfortable.
8. Michael: I don't know why I didn't like this that much. It just seemed like he didn't really connect with the song/lyrics. But this guy (as I've said before) is already a star. He is so comfortable on stage, so he lets you just relax and enjoy.
9. Aaron: Sorry Aaron-lovers. He's cute, but this was a little boring. The "growl" in his voice was nice. I kind of liked that.
Again, I thought they all did well. It was a good show. I missed Joan this week. We made a good review team. I also missed Didi. She wouldn't have won the whole thing, but I don't think she should have gone home this early. Who did you like? Who do you think will leave? I think Tim will go.

9 comments:

sara cardon said...

Hmmmm, I liked Katie the best and then Michael. I just still can't get into Crystal. Don't know why? She just seems cold. I agree with where everyone else is on your list. I also think Siobahn is nasaly.

triciathomas said...

I thought they actually all did pretty well! I really like Katie and will probabally purchase her song off of iTunes! I love big Mike and totally agree with Sara I am not such a Crystal fan... the dreads need to go! I think Tim may be out. Who knows I think Aaron could go too...

Joan Morris said...

Oh how I love your reviews. I missed commiserating with you last night. I am not a Katie fan, but actually enjoyed her the most last night. I also liked Mike but I hated Casey's song. I guess he performed it well, but I could never hear a melody in that weird song. I thought Tim actually did well. I'm wondering if Aaron will go home tonight. I thought he was the worst.

Jessica said...

My favorite was Casey and even though I don't like Crystal I think she did a good job yesterday. I really don't like Siobahn at all. I think either Aaron or Andrew will go home.

Kristen Mackrory said...

It really was fun to get to know them better! I enjoyed it. Katie was my favorite last night and I really enjoyed Crystal too...for the first time. I loved the diggerydo vibe. Fun. Jared's favorite was Lee because he is humble and he likes his voice. We didn't love last night's performance though. I missed Didi too. I hope it is Tim, but who knows.

Michelle said...

SO I just watched the results and I can't believe that you almost nailed it, Mom! I guess that's what I should expect from a voice teacher. You know what you are doing. They should hire you; For real! I really like Katie and Big Mike and Aaron. . . come on, guys! Aaron is humble and reminds me of Archuletta. He may be a little bit nerdy, but he's cute and clean. I like him. Speaking of Archuletta, that was a SUPER classy performance tonight. No skanky dancers, just singing a song with lyrics that actually have a message (more than just one line repeated over and over and over and over and over .. . ) :)

Kay Hinton said...

Whew! Now, that would have been sad to lose Michael. Archuleta was wonderful. Kick off Rihanna this week-that was bad!

Joan Morris said...

So true!! Kick Rihanna off! I have four words to describe the results show tonight "Baby, I'm a rock star".

Kay Hinton said...

Ya, Joan, I'll bet you were buzzing through that Rihanna part with your DVR button. BZZZZZZZZZZZ