Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mrs. Mike

Mrs. Mike Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars I have several "favorite" books that I like to reread every few year. Mrs. Mike is one of those. It is a sweet, old-fashioned love story of a young girl and her Canadian Mountie husband, Mike. It is based on a true story, as told to the authors by Mrs. Mike. Unlike many love stories, it begins with marriage, rather than ending with it. It is about love and adventure,hardship, tragedy and joy, but mostly it's about a young girl who chooses to "bloom where she's planted," even if that be among the Indians and fur traders of Canada in the early 1900's. Her personality, courage and determination are inspiring- a true literary heroine. I'm stingy with five-star ratings, but, because of how this book makes me feel, I think it deserves that rating. View all my reviews >>

4 comments:

James and Tricia Thomas said...

I read that book and loved it!! I love all your book reviews!

Shonna said...

I read it to and remember really enjoying it. The setting is not one of my favorites. It's so haunting; as told in the book "Tisha."

Pal & Hatty said...

Another great book review and right on target! I have read this book a couple of times and I too love it. It is one of those books that makes you laugh and cry and lifts you with the courage and stamina of the heroine! I think I need to re-read it!!

Joan Morris said...

I always love your reviews.I should also re-read that book. I remember loving it when I read it years ago.